of the PGA TOUR
In the pursuit of the most realistic, accurate and enjoyable indoor golf experience, we developed our own proprietary ball and club tracking technology for use in all our products. That 3D machine vision technology, known as 3Trak, was released in May 2008 and has since revolutionized the indoor golf experience.
how does 3Trak work?
3Trak begins gathering club data as the club approaches the ball, and begins gathering ball data at the moment of impact. High-speed, 3D cameras gather images of the ball and the club at up to 2300 frames per second. The images provide direct measurements on extensive data related to the ball and club, providing useful information for instruction and improvement. The measurements are also used in conjunction with true-trajectory physics to accurately replicate the shot — regardless of its speed, direction or shape.
3Trak has been tested by many of the best names in golf and is consistently praised for its superior accuracy:
3Trak rivals our own proprietary Callaway Performance Analysis System in terms of accuracy, robustness and versatility for golf ball launch measurement.-Jeff Colton, Callaway Golf
how does 3Trak compare?
Advantages of 3Trak as compared to other “machine vision” systems and radar systems:
- 3Trak requires less than one meter of ball flight to gather relevant data
- 3Trak is flexible enough to impose virtually no restrictions on the environment in which it is placed
- 3Trak gathers accurate data on all types of shots, including high loft and extreme hooks & slices
- 3Trak provides both ball and club data, rather than one or the other
- 3Trak can track shots at virtually any speed because data is gathered beginning at the point of impact
- 3Trak collects image data at 2x the rate of many machine vision systems
- 3Trak is engineered for consistent optical resolution and field of view, resulting in up to a 10x advantage in shot recreation accuracy
- 3Trak collects all data within a monolithic calibration volume, meaning it has sufficient detail to detect all measurements of spin accurately – tracking even an over spin shot accurately
- 3Trak treats the tee as a valid 3D position from which the golfer hits the ball, so the play experience is seamless
- 3Trak data integrates and time syncs with balance and video data